WELCOME TO MY ART WORLD!

Welcome to my Art World! This is where it's all about me! Seriously, this will be a journal of my life in my art world. I'll post my works in progress, talk about my feelings, share my plans, dreams, and goals. Facebook is OK, but here, it's more personal. I hope you enjoy it!

I hope you'll feel free to comment - I encourage you to do so.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Musings about Abstracts

My friend Michael Kennedy has painted a really gorgeous painting; it's an abstract piece, very colorful - I'm attracted to the shapes and colors in it, and can actually SEE something there!  I'm not wild about abstract art - I personally prefer paintings that are "of something" and tell a story, but that's just me!  Considering the prices that some abstract art brings, it's obvious that some people really value and love it!  I think I'm warming up to it though!

When I first started painting, it was very important to me that my work was very tight and photo-realistic.  I stressed over it, actually!  My attitude, as well as my art, has relaxed somewhat; now I want my paintings to BE "painterly", and figure if you want photo-realism, you might as well just take a photo and be done with it.  It's more fun to concentrate on telling the story or creating the image I have in my head than it is to concentrate on getting it exactly perfect!  After all, it's a PAINTING!  It's a rendering, sometimes from life and sometimes from a photo, for me, anyway.  I enjoy both.

On the other extreme, there are people like my son, who feel that the best paintings ARE photo-realistic, very tight and life-like.  I was awed by some paintings like that at the deYoung Museum, upstairs.  Some of the images are so life-like, it looks like you could pluck an item off the canvas!  Certainly, there is much skill in that as well!  As a member of the Oil Painters of America, I enter some of their shows (so far none accepted), and now have entered the online competition for associated members like me.  I go there and look at the entries - quite a few of them are photo-realism, and very beautiful.  Some of those works are so stunningly awesome, I wonder how I could ever even come close....

Still, painting is the thing I love to do, and will for all my life continue to do!  I do it for the fun of it, after all!  I sell once in a while, and that makes my heart soar, because I know my art is being treasured and enjoyed.  That's part of what makes it fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment